Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Week Before


A beautiful picture from friends :)

In five days I will have to tell all of my friends and family goodbye, In six days, I will be on my way to the New York orientation for all the AFSers going abroad. And in seven days, I will be on my way to Madrid, Spain, where i will be staying for the next year. In Madrid, I will be living with a family and will be going to the local public highschool all through a program called: AFS, or American Field Service. I would consider myself very "un-prepared" for this exchange. I haven't yet begun packing , I don't know the name of my new school or even what grade I will be placed in, and I don't speak a word of Spanish. Basically, I have no idea what to expect. But overall, I am equally as excited to go to Spain as I am un-prepared, or nervous. I haven't heard one bad thing about Spain, and espcially Madrid, the center of it all. I will finally get a taste of what a real city is like- with subway transportation, people walkng outside, and an existant night-life, as oppose to Houston. Yet, I have to admit, I will miss some things about Houston. I will miss Emery, my amazing school that, believe it or not, I actually enjoy going to. Also, i will miss my friends and family in Houston-especially Nina Whyte-my all time best friend, who as soon as I return, she will be headed off for her year. I'm not going to lie I am a bit nervous about all of this, but I know for a fact it will be worth it in the end. I know and am hoping that in the next few months i will gain some wonderful expeirences and the ability to speak Spanish. As for right now, I think I should begin packing.

I will write again, once I have actually made it to Spain.

Adios!
some friends I'm gunna miss!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you'll be blogging!! Can't wait to read it!! Live everyday to it's fullest!!
    Adios, Chica!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo this is an awesome blog! I am incredibly proud of your guts and sense of adventure in starting this trip of a lifetime. You are now a full-fledged Tobias girl - Taiwan, Italy, and now Spain. I am bursting with pride!! Vaya con dios!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I posted on this before! You'll have so much fun and you'll learn Spanish really quickly, and your family sounds great! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well you have adios down pretty good, so technically you speak more than "not a word of spanish" haha. Good luck! ill miss you tobias

    ReplyDelete