Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 3, 2010

On the Plane

Well, today is September 2nd (or third) and I’m currently on the night flight to Switzerland, where I will be switching flights to my new home for the year, Madrid, Espana. (Although this will not be posted until I find some internet in Madrid) After a lot of last minute packing, a nervous throw-up on the way to the airport, and some painful goodbyes, I’m finally on my way to a new journey; First, I had a two-day orientation in New York City with other nervous kiddos like myself. Although, I am one of the few sophomores; I guess I was just too eager to get to Spain. I’m now in between a million (more like thirty) other AFS Spain-going Americans without a chaperone, I guess you could say that we invaded the plane. The gate right next to me was Elal Airlines going to Tel-Aviv, I had such an urge to just jump into that crowd of Israelis and go back to Tel-Aviv; but the idea that in a year’s time I could have the same feeling toward Spain kept me in my seat still eager to go. Also, a long talk on the phone with both my parents and some friends definitely helped. Thank god for convenient technology these days. If you think about it, if this was a few hundred years ago I would be sailing on some fancy ship for a month to reach the other side of the world and loose contact with absolutely everyone. HOWEVER, being its 2010, I’m only a phone call away.
AFS Spain 2010-2011


The Idea of being in Spain in a few hours is still quite surreal and unbelievable. I keep thinking I’ll be waking up in my messy blue room with my obese dog stepping all over me. I guess I have to accept the fact that that won’t be the case for about another year. Yet, that’s not a bad thing. My host family seems super cool and nice and excited to be hosting me. They have a daughter, Clara, who will soon be fifteen and so her and I are close in age which is a huge plus. Also, being in Madrid- the coolest and biggest city in Spain- definitely doesn’t hurt. Like mentioned in my earlier post, a real city! I already feel the Real Madrid Soccer (football) team spirit building up. I really can’t imagine going to another country at this point but Spain just feels right. If I’m not mistaken my last name, Tobias, come from Spain, also I THINK my mother’s side has some Spain in it, I have some of it in me, I guess I’m just keeping it alive. Hopefully I do my part, and I come back speaking perfect Spanish. Now THAT would be unbelievable, but to tell you the truth I can’t even think that far ahead. At this point, all I’m concerned about is getting to Madrid and meeting my host family. Well, actually I’ll I’m concerned about right now is going back to sleep, the Swiss definitely know how to make comfy plane seats.

Buenas Noches

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment