Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Days in Madrid

  Today marks a week from when I said those extremely hard goodbyes at the airport. I have been in Spain since Friday and with my new host family since Saturday. You could say that it has definitely been a long week. The family is very nice and they have two adorable dogs; black and white. Yet, I still had a nasty case of homesickness. I found that I spend too much time wishing I was with my family at home and too much time connecting to them on the internet, that I didn’t pay enough attention to Madrid. On the first night, we went to the center of town and Madrid is very beautiful. It has both the historical pretty buildings as well as the modern buildings. We ate dinner at a very popular square, or plaza, where tons of people were strolling the streets. The city was very alive and joyful, even at midnight. On the second day, I woke up and got out of bed thinking it was about midday but it was actually almost five o’clock. With shock, I remembered that I am still jetlagged on Houston time. My sleeping is a little better but I do still have jetlag. Yesterday, I went on a walk with Clara and the two dogs, and afterwards we went to the metro where we met up with Belen, my host mother, and Clara’s friend and then went to the All Time Low concert in center Madrid. The funny thing is I saw them about two years ago in Houston. American music has definitely made its way to Spain. I hear California girls multiple times a day, along with love the way you lie, and a lot of lady gaga, and also many more songs. I think I hear more American songs than I do Spanish songs. I can leave America, but America will never leave me. Including the time difference, and therefore I shall now go to sleep and attempt to beat jetlag.


Buenos Noches

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment