Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

seven months

Hello!
Well, I think I have waiting TWO months, if not more to write on here. For those of you who are reading, I am really sorry, truley.
I actually wrote a nice, long, post with pictures and everything and it disappeares :(
I am going to give a really really breif update and things that are going on around here becuase to much time has past to give all the details.
FIRST CHRISTMAS: i had my first christmas, it was a lovely family gathering and a ton of food and desserts and later followed by dancing video games until 2 in the morning.
NOCHEVIEJA: this means, new years eve in Spanish. Here the New Years is a really big deal and has many nice traditioins. For example, wearing red under-clothes is good luck and everyone eats 12 grapes in the last 12 seconds of the year, making chipmunk cheeks.Well, first off, the Spanish definatley know how to celebrate their new years. Here, everyone was with there familes at midnight, at the turn of the year, and afterwards at 1-1:30 all the guest started coming. I did not get sleep until two in the afternoon! The whole night was full of laughter, fireworks, and Churros!
LOS REYES MAGOS: I found this holiday to be even bigger than christmas. This is celebrated on January 6 and is the day to give and recieve presents, more than christmas. The traditional Spanish icon for the holidays is not Santa Clause, but three kings. These 3 kings are the ones the supposidly delivers the gifts.

As you can see, the vacations were full of a ton of festive holidays and celebrations. And even more to come,
the weekend after the break, we went skiing in the beautiful Pyranneas Mountains on the border between Spain and France.
As for my Spanish: Well, to be honest, many words and phrases I wrote in this entry, I had to revise because I wrote them in Spanish accidently and not in English.. My mind is completely absorbed in this lanuage. I think in Spanish and dream in Spanish and understand pretty much everything thats being said. Of course theres a lot more that I have to learn but I am confident that I will be leaving here with fluency. Although sometimes, I have good days and bad days in Spanish or even for weeks at a time. Fortunatley, this week is a good one, bu for example, about three weeks ago, I had horrible spanish for a couple of days, almost as if I had forgotten half of it. Luckily, it was only a couple of days and I have been told that it is normal.  Considering, that in my first entry my Spanish vocabulary consisted of "hola, adios, y siesta" I'd say its come along way.

Also, for some big news:
Do to some changes, I now live in a different house-hold. I live with my class mate, Maria, who is also my best friend here. The family is incredibly loving and I get along tremendously with them.

Off to studying!
pictures are coming soon
Besos a todos (kisses to all)

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment